Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Trip To Chelsea


© Stephen Wilkes

- I went into the city early today so I could check out a few shows before I had to pick up my film. It ended up being a really great day at the galleries. I had about an hour and a rough list so I made my way down to 25th street. I started at Clamp Art and saw the Stephen Wilkes show, which I loved. Although the subject of the series instantly reminded me of Sze Tsung Leong's History Images, Wilkes takes a very different take on similar territory. The shapes and colors in the photographs immediately drew me in and this is easily my favorite show I've seen at Clamp Art.



© Terri Garland

- After Clamp Art I headed up the street to Alan Klotz Gallery to see the Terri Garland show. Collecting photos from the last 20 years, Southern Discomforts takes on the subject of race in America. I loved her color work, but my favorite photos in the show were six black and white exteriors of buildings that were hung in a grid. The prints were beautiful and the show was a nice surprise from a photographer I didn't know before.



© Martin Parr

- I ended the day with two summer group shows. The first of which was my favorite show of the day, it was called When Color Was New: Vintage Photographs From Around The 1970's and was at Julie Saul Gallery. Featuring work from all of the early heavyweights in color photography, I was blown away. Finally being able to see Joel Sternfeld, William Eggleston, and Helen Levitt's work in person was quite inspiring. But it was the work of Martin Parr, Terry Wild, and Jan Groomer that really stuck out in this exhibit. A must see!



© Alex Prager

- The second group show was at Yancy Richardson Gallery and was called The Good Life. I didn't love this show that much. Although a lot of photography masters were featured in the show, there was some good work but a lot of it seemed to be filler. I did love Alex Prager, Larry Sultan, and David Hilliard's photos though, the show is worth seeing for them alone.

No comments: