Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ahmet Unver


- Ahmet Unver's series Gurbet/Gone Away portrays the people of a small Turkish community in Sweden that relocated there after Sweden partially opened its doors to immigrants in the 1960's. Not wanting to lose their Turkish culture the people of the community never fully became a part of Swedish community. From the artists statement; "Born into this community, I have often felt that I have been living in a bubble, where people's developments are often hindered and where an awareness of the wider world is obscured. Since moving away from Sweden my inner conflict between my history and my expectations has been more apparent and my search for my own identity has become stronger. While I have been returning to Stockholm to photograph the people of the Turkish community I have discovered a different flow of life and although many of the community members discuss the dream of one day returning "home" there is a silent feeling that it wont happen." See more of his work here.



© Ahmet Unver

No comments: