Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Malick Sidibe


- Malick Sidibe owns a photo studio in Mali, throughout the 60's and 70's he took pictures of the youth of the city, both in posed portraits and snapshots. Like many other African artists of the time, Sidibe didn't begin to get recognition out of his country until the '90s. While I was interning I picked up one of his prints from another gallery for a group show. I studied the little 5x7 picture in its brightly painted frame for a while not really understanding its importance. It wasn't until I saw that picture in the context of the rest of his work that I got it and understood why Malick Sidibe is one of the most important photographers from the African continent. See more of his work here and here and read an interview with him from Index Magazine here.



© Malick Sidibe

No comments: