Friday, October 10, 2008

Michal Chelbin


- While I was at Aperture the other night I was looking in the limited edition print room and was floored by the above Michal Chelbin print. The subject matter could easily be compared to Diane Arbus, from her artist statement "The images in this series are an attempt to capture human stories in everyday life, those that exist in the space between the odd and the ordinary. My images are almost always of people and they usually take the form of portraits. Most of the people I photograph have something in common; they are not the mainstream, and many of them are small town performers (For example, they could be dwarfs in a theatre play, ball room dancers or young contortionists)," but her beautiful color palette reminds me a lot of Alec Soth. She has a show up at Andrea Meislin Gallery until October 18th and urge you to go take a look. See more of her work here.



© Michal Chelbin

No comments: